Mexican Red Rice
- 1 ½ tbsp. olive oil
- 1 cup long grain white rice (uncooked and rinsed with hot water)
- 1 garlic clove
- ¼ of a small onion
- 2 tomatoes (without seeds)
- 1 cup water (cold)
- 2-3 cups chicken broth
- For the tomato sauce, blend garlic, onion, tomatoes and water, set aside.
- In a large saucepan (non-stick) heat oil on medium heat.
- Once hot, add the rice, making sure the pan is large enough to keep the depth of the rice shallow.
- Sauté the rice until it turns golden brown (careful it doesn’t burn).
- Add the tomato sauce and let cook for 1 minute.
- Add 1 cup of chicken broth (salt to taste each time broth is added) at a time as it starts to dry out, add more until it’s fluffy.